Where in the World Should I go–my top five destinations!
For a number of reasons, travel is not at the top of my to-do list right now, but, if I had unlimited money, unlimited time, and a good house and pet sitter, here are my top 5 places to go:
- The British Isles, and I do mean all the isles! If I could get my brain to switch gears to the wrong side of the road, I’d love to spend a few months driving through Ireland, Scotland, and England, with a few jaunts to the outlying islands. Sure, England is a bit different now than it was in 1800, but I think I could still feed my historical muse on the countryside and buildings, and I’d love to chat with the locals!
2. Alaska. My husband and I put a drive up the Alaskan Highway on hold a few years ago. We’d planned to drive our motorhome up through Canada, but life intervened and we had to cancel. Now he says, he’d rather travel there by boat and rent a motorhome there. Could it be because of our neighbors’ report that they totaled their car when they towed it behind their motorhome on some of those rough stretches of the Alaskan Highway!?
3. New England. I’ve hit most of the 50 states in my lifetime (hey, I was an Air Force brat for a while) but not Maine, Vermont, or New Hampshire (or, hmm, Alaska and North Dakota). I’d love to see those states.
4. Africa. I grew up watching movies like The Nun’s Story, Zulu, and The African Queen, and more recently I watched The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency. Plus, we’ve been privileged to be served by a few very kind African priests at our church. I’d avoid the political hot spots, but…the landscape, the wildlife, the people, the culture–I’d like to experience all of it!
5. India. This is another place I’ve met through books and movies and…Facebook friends! I would love to see it.
And one more…
I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I can take a repositioning cruise, Miami to Southhampton sometime in the next couple of years.
What about you? What are your top 5 destinations?
Hop along with my fellow MFRW authors to see where they’d like to travel.
All Images: Wikimedia Commons